top of page

Pennsylvania Marriage License Information 

You popped the question and or answered yes... now what? See below the steps to take when applying for a marriage license. 


Anyone wishing to marry in Pennsylvania MUST OBTAIN A PA MARRIAGE LICENSE.

BOTH applicants MUST APPEAR together in person to complete the marriage license application.

Applicants must have VALID ID: (e.g., current Driver's License, military or Penn DOT photo ID)

Birth Certificates are required only when applicants have no other ID.

All IDs must be in English or be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Applicants must have Social Security Cards (federal & state mandates for US citizens). If you have lost your card, you must obtain WRITTEN VERIFICATION OF YOUR SS NUMBER from the Social Security Office.

Where to Apply


Applicants may apply in any county within Pennsylvania.

Application does not need to be made in the county of residence or where the ceremony is to be performed.

Duplicates/Certifications can only be issued from the county of application.

Contact the county where you plan to apply. (Hours and fees differ from county to county)



All applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license without custodial parent's or legal guardian's consent.

Applicants between 16-18 years of age MUST HAVE A CUSTODIAL PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN present to consent to the marriage application


Applicants under 16 years of age must have BOTH written Court approval AND meet the custodial parent requirements.

Consenting parent must have proper identification and proof of physical custody of the minor.

Pennsylvania does not require premarital blood testing or physical examinations.

When to Apply 

Application must be made within 60 days of the wedding date.

Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from date of issuance and may be used anywhere in PA.

Do not apply unless you are within 60 days of your wedding date.

PA law requires a minimum 3-day waiting period after application is made before license can be issued.



Who May Not Marry 

Persons related by blood as first cousins or closer may not marry in PA. Other prohibitions and policies are posted in the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office.



Applicants who have previously married MUST HAVE:

  • ORIGINAL death certificate (if widowed)

  • ORIGINAL Divorce Decree dated more than 30 days prior to application date - *If female applicant is divorced and has changed her name, she must have certified documentation of same. If applicant does not have the original Divorce Decree, s/he must obtain a CERTIFIED copy of the Decree (with a court seal).Photocopies are NOT acceptable. Foreign divorce Decrees must ALSO have a CERTIFIED ENGLISH translation attached.

  • Civil annulments require same documentation as divorces. (Church annulments are NOT accepted)



Out-of-State Marriages

Anyone wishing to marry outside Pennsylvania must contact that state, territory, country, etc., directly. Legal requirements of that jurisdiction apply.

Specific premarital testing information for other states is posted in the Register of Wills & Clerk of Orphans' Court Office.


Marriage license fees and hours vary from county to county.

bottom of page